Tuesday, August 26, 2014

73 Is Too Hot

OK, I'm just gonna put this out there because I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed. Classrooms in TPS have their thermostats universally set at 73 during warm/hot weather because the district is part of an energy savings initiative. I get that. However, I've heard from many teachers whose classrooms are uncomfortably hot (especially with 30 - 40 warm bodies in them). Last week and this week, heat indexes have ranged from 90 to 109. I sent a letter to the people in charge, asking that on days when the heat index is over 90, that thermostats be set at 70 and they not be turned off until 6:00 p.m. (Contrary to popular belief, many teachers stay and work in their classrooms after the students are gone.) I sent a chart showing that this range of heat indexes is dangerous to children and teachers alike. I stressed that the safety and learning conditions should be a higher priority than saving money. The lone response I got was to argue that "lowering temperatures increases humidity." I'm no scientist but I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life so I'm pretty sure I know about heat and humidity. After fighting this battle for an entire day, I happened to be in an administrative conference room at the Education Service Center where the thermostat was set at a frosty 70 degrees. I posted pictures and shared them here on Facebook and on Twitter. No response from the people who have the power to change the policy. The most important point I'm trying to make is that kids and teachers are getting sick from the heat and I don't know how much learning can take place when children are in that much discomfort. Many classrooms in TPS are showing temperatures above 80. The second point is that VIPs should be abiding by the same energy guidelines as teachers, students, principals, and support workers. This isn't Pre-Revolutionary France. My third point is that I am a voting citizen in Tulsa, a former student of TPS, a former parent of TPS, a former teacher in TPS, and I have the great honor and privilege of speaking for the teachers in TPS. The voice of the teachers and students is being ignored. Parents of TPS, You need to speak up for your children. They deserve better.

No comments:

Post a Comment